Overview of CDN video on demand (VOD) streaming services
There are multiple ways how to deliver video on demand (VOD) via our content delivery network (CDN). In the following we give a technical overview of our CDN video streaming solutions.
|CDN Video Pull / Push||CDN Static Pull / Push|
|Create CDN service||Create / Create||Create / Create|
|Available in all PoPs|
|Available in streaming PoPs|
|Input||MP4 or FLV file||Any HTTP stream, e.g. HLS or DASH; MP4 or FLV file.|
|CDN output protocols||HLS, RTMP, HDS, MSS, RTSP||And HTTP stream, e.g. HLS or DASH; MP4 or FLV HTTP pseudo stream.|
- To read more about a particular CDN service please refer to its documentation (link in the comparison table).
- The following explains what is a streaming PoP. On our network page you can see a list of all our CDN Locations (PoPs). All our CDN Locations support Nginx based HTTP delivery and streaming CDN Locations (marked with the "play" icon) also support Wowza based HTTP/RTMP/RTSP delivery.
- To read more about how to use the CDN Static Pull / Push service for true video on demand streaming please refer to HLS streaming through a CDN Static service.
- To read more about how to use the CDN Static Pull / Push service for pseudo video on demand streaming please refer to Setting an HTTP pseudo streaming or to Differences between true streaming and pseudo streaming.
- To create a CDN Video Push or a CDN Static Push service you need to create a CDN storage first.
- To transcode a MP4 file to an HLS stream with the CDN Static Push service please open and use its CDN storage Web File Manager. Transcoding of MP4 and FLV files to HLS, RTMP, HDS, MSS, RTSP protocols with the CDN Video Pull / Push service is on the fly and automatic.
- Adaptive bitrate and multi bitrate are possible but you need to publish multiple videos as we don't transcode bitrate, please refer to Using a CDN Video service for adaptive and multi bitrate streaming.
- For the CDN Video Pull / Push service SSL (HTTPS) is enabled automatically. To enable SSL for the CDN Static Pull / Push service please refer to Creating CDN services with an SSL enabled.
Read about the following topics.
- Creating a CDN Video service
- Creating a CDN Static service
- Creating CDN services with an SSL enabled
- Setting an HTTP pseudo streaming
- Differences between true streaming and pseudo streaming
- Creating a CDN storage
- Accessing a storage
- HLS streaming through a CDN Static service
- Using a CDN Video service for adaptive and multi bitrate streaming
- Supported CDN streaming protocols and formats